A certain type of Englishman
These Englishmen were also known as the Cowpastures gentry, a pseudo-self-styled-English gentry.
All men – they lived on their estates when they were not involved with their business and political interests in Sydney and elsewhere in the British Empire.
By the late 1820s, this English-style gentry had created a landscape that reminded some of the English countrysides. This was particularly noted by another Englishman, John Hawdon.
There were other types of English folk in the Cowpastures and they included convicts, women, and some freemen.
|Estate||Extent (acres)||Gentry (principal)|
|Abbotsford (at Stonequarry, later Picton)||400 (by 1840 7,000)||George Harper (1821 by grant)|
|Brownlow Hill (Glendaruel)||2000 (by 1827 3500)||Peter Murdock (1822 by grant) then Alexander McLeay (1827 by purchase)|
|Camden Park||2000 (by 1820s 28,000)||John Macarthur (1805 by grant, additions by grant and purchase)|
|Cubbady||500||Gregory Blaxland (1816 by grant)|
|Denbigh||1100||Charles Hook (1812 by grant) then Rev Thomas Hassall (1828 by purchase)|
|Elderslie (Ellerslie)||850||John Oxley (1816 by grant) then Francis Irvine (1827 by purchase) then John Hawdon (1828 by lease)|
|Gledswood (Buckingham)||400||Gabriel Louis Marie Huon de Kerilliam (1810 by grant) then James Chisholm (1816 by purchase)|
|Glenlee (Eskdale)||3000||William Howe (1818 by grant)|
|Harrington Park||2000||William Campbell (1816 by grant) then Murdock Campbell, nephew (1827 by inheritance)|
|Jarvisfield (at Stonequarry, later Picton)||2000||Henry Antill (by grant 1821)|
|Kenmore||600||John Purcell (1812 by grant)|
|Kirkham||1000||John Oxley (1815 by grant) then Elizabeth Dumaresq (1858 by purchase)|
|Macquarie Grove||400||Rowland Hassall (1812 by grant)|
|Matavai Farm||200||Jonathon Hassall (1815 by grant)|
|Narallaring Grange||700||William Hovell (1816 by grant) then Frances Mowatt (1830 by purchase)|
|Orielton||1500||Edward Lord (1815 by grant) then John Dickson (1822 by purchase)|
|Parkhall (at St Marys Towers)||3810||Thomas Mitchell (1834 by purchase)|
|Pomari Grove (Pomare)||150||Thomas Hassall (1815 by grant)|
|Raby||3000||Alexander Riley (1816 by grant)|
|Smeeton (Smeaton)||550||Charles Throsby (1811 by grant)|
|Stoke Farm||500||Rowland Hassall (1816 by grant)|
|Vanderville (at The Oaks)||2000||John Wild (1823 by grant)|
|Wivenhoe (Macquarie Gift)||600||Rev William Cowper (1812 by grant) then Charles Cowper, son (1834 by purchase)|
Private villages in the Cowpastures
|Village||Founder (estate)||Foundation (Source)|
|Cobbitty||Thomas Hassall (Pomari)||1828 – Heber Chapel (Mylrea: 28)|
|Camden||James and William Macarthur (Camden Park)||1840 (Atkinson: Camden)|
|Elderslie||Charles Campbell (Elderslie)||1840 – failed (Mylrea:35)|
|Picton (Stonequarry in 1841 renamed Picton in 1845)||Henry Antill (Jarvisfield)||1841 (https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/picton-nsw#:~:text=Origin%20of%20Name,at%20the%20Battle%20of%20Waterloo.)|
|Wilton||Thomas Mitchell (Parkhall)||1842 – failed (https://www.towersretreat.org.au/history/park-hall-east-bargo-1841-1860)|
|The Oaks||Mrs John Wild (Vanderville)||1858 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oaks,_New_South_Wales)|
|Menangle||James and William Macarthur (Camden Park)||1863 – arrival of railway (https://camdenhistorynotes.com/2014/02/16/menangle-camden-park-estate-village/)|
You must be logged in to post a comment.